DAY 3, PURPOSE: Hearing God’s Voice (See Day 2)
Hearing God’s voice is obviously very important. If I can’t hear His voice, I will be lost – not knowing what to do or where to go.
Read / Study / Pray
- I didn’t find the time to write about the different kinds of fasts but I did read about it a little bit and made some notes. But before this time, I heard the Holy Spirit telling me I had to go through a gradual process first before jumping into an absolute 7 day fast (for the first time). At first I accepted His suggested but later I thought to myself, could this be the enemy’s way of getting me to not continue? But that wasn’t what He meant obviously. *Finally I realized that it is better to do it gradually in increment so that the body does not shut down! At mid day, however, I decided to listen to Derek Prince’s “Self Humbling Through Fasting” and again he confirmed this word by specifically said “I would not advice anyone to go through a 72 hours fast without drinking water”. This was due to health reasons. Well, I took to the advice this time:)
- I prayed for about an hour in the early hours of the morning around 3 – 4am.
Listen & Watch
I listened and watched the following:
- Derek Prince – Self-Humbling Through Fasting
- Derek Prince – Prayer and Fasting – When you fast
- Derek Prince – How To hear God’s Voice
AND Then I Almost Quit! What?
Yes, I almost quit at 70 hours of dry fast (no food & no water) but by the grace of God, I didn’t! I overcame! Hallelujah! Remember I have done 84+ hours before (no food or water) with no problems so this was clearly the biggest temptation for me at this stage. I really pushed it on this but I wouldn’t advice anyone to do so 🙂 You know your body and what you can handle. In my case, I knew exactly how I felt in the body and I had a goal. But frankly I really didn’t care. I just wanted to breakthrough what I was used to: 72 hours.
Battle Of The Mind
At about 10pm at night, the enemy started to bombard my mind with all kinds of thoughts. I began to smell the food that was being cooked, I began to think about it and how perhaps I could stop now and try it again later. But the Holy Spirit was there to remind me of many things. First He dropped in my spirit Romans 8:5 “Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires”, but I kept struggling because 90 percent of my mind at this time was on the food I was smelling and I had gone a bit far with thinking I could just break now and try again later. But then I asked the Holy Spirit to please help me and I felt I needed to search the scriptures to understand what He was saying. Then It was almost like I heard His voice and this time He said: “Reward”. Oh then I remembered:
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. (Revelation 2:17
Phew! By this time I was back because the word that came into me upon hearing this was “determination”. Now I strengthened and determined to finish what I started! Hallelujah! Now I knew I would get a reward at the end of this fast! Something beneficial to my spirit, to me, to those around me and this it was worth it! *Remember before I could overcome this temptation, the word of God became active in me. and so it was much easier to overcome.
In light of the purpose of fasting as seen in Isaiah 58:4-7, I consciously went in to the office expecting a few people to come in so I could help them at no cost at all. And it worked! I helped two people with their businesses and didn’t charge a dim! Then as if God was saying…”here is more” someone on the same floor as me came into my office asking me to come quickly to help them with their computer. I spent about 1 hour+ working on that computer, cleaning it out and everything & I did it knowing in my heart that I was intentionally helping something during this fast. This made me very happy.
I went to the SummerVival with Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke (DAY 3!). Incidentally, Reinhard preached on a topic he titled “turn”. Turning towards Jesus so that He can bring much light into you and lead you to His will and purpose.
I really planned on going to witness Jesus to people today but God had His own plans as usual. At about 2pm in the afternoon, I figured I didn’t have much time to go out and evangelize or pray for people but I decided to make sure I did as much good as possible today! Just when I thought I was done and was ready to leave the office, I met some men in the hall way. They said they were looking for me. I was surprised. Anyway I let them into my office and as it turned out – they brought the largest gig I have ever received at that office. I was so amazed! In the end, I realized that the Holy Spirit wanted me to do what I had planned for today tomorrow because He proved it. Learn what happened the next day (Day 4)